1. Post-study working in Australia:
If you have studied in Australia for 2 academic years or more and have completed your course within the last six months, you may be eligible for a Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485). This visa has 2 streams:
• Graduate Work Stream – Length of Stay: 18 months
The Graduate Workstream is for international students who have recently graduated with skill and qualifications that closely relate to an occupation identified as being in need in the Australian labour market.
• Post-Study Work Stream – Length of Stay: 2 – 4 years depending on your qualification
The Post-Study Work stream is for international students who have recently graduated with an eligible qualification from an Australian educational institution, regardless of their field of study.
– Bachelor Degree, Bachelor Degree with Honours, Masters by Coursework Degree or Masters (extended) Degree: Your visa is valid for 2 years.
– Masters by Research Degree: Your visa is valid for 3 years.
– Doctoral Degree: Your visa is valid for 4 years.
2. Engineering Graduates:
If you have completed an engineering degree at a recognized institution (in Australia or overseas) within the past two years, you may be eligible for a Skilled-Recognised Graduate visa (Subclass 476). This visa allows you to stay in Australia for up to 18 months for skilled work experience. The following specializations in Engineering are deemed suitable for this visa:
• Civil Engineering.
• Structural Engineering.
• Chemical Engineering.
• Environmental Engineering.
• Electrical and Electronics Engineering.
• Mechanical, Production and Plant Engineering.
• Mining and Material Engineering.
3. English Language Ability:
In order to meet the eligibility criteria for the above visa’s, you must have evidence to demonstrate that you have sufficiently met the English language requirement. However, if you hold a passport issued by the United Kingdom, United States of America, Canada, New Zealand or Ireland and you are a citizen of that country, you are exempt from this requirement. Otherwise, you must demonstrate one of the following:
• You have achieved an overall score of at least 6 with a minimum a score of 5 in each of the four test components (speaking, reading, listening and writing) in an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test that has been undertaken in the three years prior to lodging the visa application.
• You have achieved a score of at least ‘B’ in each of the four test components of an Occupational English Test (OET) that has been undertaken in the three years prior to lodging the visa application.
• You have achieved a total score of at least 64 with the following minimum test scores in each of the four test components: 4 for listening, 4 for reading, 14 for writing and 14 for speaking, in a Test of English as a Foreign Language internet-based test (TOEFL iBT) test that has been undertaken in the three years immediately prior to lodging the visa application.
• You have achieved an overall test score of at least 50 with a minimum score of 36 in each of the four test components (speaking, reading, listening and writing) in a Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic that has been undertaken in the three years immediately prior to lodging the visa application.
• You have achieved an overall test score of at least 169 with a minimum score of at least 154 in each of the four test components (speaking, reading, listening and writing) in a Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) test that has been undertaken on or after 1 January 2015 and prior to lodging the visa application.
4. Professional Year Programs:
These programs are available for international students who have graduated in the following disciplines:
• Information Technology
The professional year training program runs for 44 weeks which will also include a 12 a week internship with a host organization for industrial based training. The aim of this program is to drastically increase your opportunities for employment in Australia.
There are numerous other benefits to a professional year when applying for migration:
• Completion of the professional year will add 5 points to your overall score for General Skilled Migration.
• Accountants: The professional year is a substitute to the usual English language criteria for a CPA skills assessment (7.0 in each band of Academic IELTS or equivalent).
• IT Professional: The professional year is a substitute to the usual work experience requirement for an ACS skills assessment (1-year post qualification work experience in IT).
Family can join you in Australia and can be included in your application. You can include the following people in your visa application at the time of lodgement:
• Child/step-child or partner’s child/step-child
- You cannot add any other family member to your application.
6. BONUS TIP – ALWAYS use a MARA registered migration agent/immigration lawyer:
Only registered migration agents can legally give immigration assistance in Australia. To do this, they must be listed on the Register of Migration Agents, held by the Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority.
To check a migration agents credentials, please refer to this link on the MARA website:
To check our credentials please enter our 7-digit MARA registration number in the search bar on the MARA website: 0635492
For a FREE assessment of your eligibility, please click on the link below:
For all inquiries:
Keith Hepponstall – Director (Business Development)
Mobile: (+614) 20 949 195