If you are an Australian Citizen or and Australian Permanent Resident and currently in Australia you are not allowed to leave Australia until such time you obtain a travel exemption.

You will obtain a travel exemption only in very limited circumstances. Please contact us for advice…



Australians and permanent residents

If you are an Australian citizen or a permanent resident you cannot leave Australia due to COVID-19 restrictions unless you have an exemption. You can apply online but you must meet at least one of the following:

  • Your travel is as part of the response to the COVID-19 outbreak, including the provision of aid
  • Your travel is essential for the conduct of critical industries and business (including export and import industries)
  • You are travelling to receive urgent medical treatment that is not available in Australia
  • You are travelling on urgent and unavoidable personal business
  • You are travelling on compassionate or humanitarian grounds
  • Your travel is in the national interest.

You must provide evidence to support your claims that may include:

  • Passport/s
  • Marriage certificate/s
  • Birth certificate/s
  • Death certificate/s
  • Proof of relationship (for example, shared tenancy agreement, joint bank account etc.)
  • Proof that you are moving to another country on a long term basis such as leases, job offers and evidence your goods are being transported
  • Proof of your current valid visa, including in Australia and/or overseas
  • Letter from a doctor or hospital about any medical treatment/condition with statements on why travel is necessary
  • Letter from an employer showing why the travel is necessary or that the work undertaken by you is critical
  • Statement or evidence to show when you wish to return to Australia
  • Any other proof you may have to support your claims.

All evidence supporting a travel exemption claim needs to be officially translated into English.

You should apply for an exemption at least 4 weeks, but not more than 3 months before your planned travel. Please make only one request per person. Duplicate requests will delay assessment.

If you are not granted an exemption, you should not continue with your travel plans. If granted an exemption, you must take evidence of that exemption decision to the airport.

You are exempt if you are:

  • Ordinarily resident in a country other than Australia
  • An airline, maritime crew or associated safety worker
  • A New Zealand citizen holding a Special Category (subclass 444) visa
  • Engaged in the day-to-day conduct of outbound freight
  • Associated with essential work at Australian offshore facilities
  • Travelling on official government business, including members of the Australian Defence Force.

You are considered ordinarily resident in a country other than Australia if international movement records show that you’ve spent more time outside Australia than inside for the last 12 to 24 months. You do not need to carry a paper record of your movements with you. If required, Australian Border Force officers at airports can check your movement records in Departmental systems.

If you have not spent more time outside Australia than inside for the last 12 to 24 months, but still consider yourself to be ordinarily resident in another country, you can submit a request for a travel exemption.

Your request will need to include evidence, for example:

  • Documents showing you have an established and settled home in another country
  • The location of your immediate family members
  • An employment contract for work outside of Australia
  • School enrolment for dependent children
  • Evidence of ongoing business/property interests
  • Evidence that you are a dual national or hold a valid visa for another country
  • Evidence which shows that your absence from another country is temporary and you intend to return there.

If you do not think you need a travel exemption, you can present this evidence when you check-in at the airport. However, if you have any doubt about whether your circumstances fall within the definition of ordinarily resident, we recommend you lodge a request for assessment at least four weeks prior to your intended departure.

For more:https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/leaving-australia