Horticulture Industry Labour Agreement
The new Horticulture Industry Labour Agreement was introduced in December 2019 and was put into effect from 1st January 2020. This agreement can be used by Australian employers to fill the labour shortages in the country by hiring overseas workers due to the shortage of qualified and skilled Australian citizens. The following streams are applicable to this program.
- Employers can sponsor qualified overseas workers under the Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) (Subclass 482)
- Sponsor overseas employees for PR under the following pathways:
- The Skilled Employer Sponsorship Regional (SESR) (Subclass 494) visa program will build a path to PR (Skilled Regional) visa (Subclass 191) available after 3 years.
- Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) (subclass 186) visa program: This program comes into effect after a three- or four-year transitional period on a TSS visa (three years for approved Skill Level 1-3 occupations and four years for approved Skill Level 4-5 occupations)
- For the TSS visa, foreign workers must score an overall 5.0 IELTS band, with minimum 4 each in each score.
- For the ENS and SESR visas, foreign workers must score at least 5.0 IELTS band overall, with a minimum of 4.5 in each band.
- Workers can be up to 50 years of age when applying for this visa. These are just some of the proposed changes for this new program.
The advantages of applying under this stream are mainly the concessions it provides towards age and language requirement. These are just some of the proposed changes for this new program. The complete list of occupations eligible under this new stream are stated below:
Horticulture Industry Labour Agreement terms and concessions
|Approved occupation||ANZSCO Code or nearest equivalent||ANZSCO Skill Level||English Concession||Permanent Pathway|
|Irrigation Designer/ Manager||234111*||1||Yes||Yes|
|Protected Cropping Grower||070499*||1||Yes||Yes|
|Horticulture Research &
|Horticulture Farm Manager||070499*||1||Yes||Yes|
|Quality Assurance Manager||139914||1||Yes||Yes|
|Facility Plant Manager||149913*||2||Yes||Yes|
|Fitter and Welder||323213||3||Yes||Yes|
|Mobile Plant Operator||721111||4||Yes||Yes|
|Fork Lift Driver||721311||4||Yes||Yes|
|Machinery Manager||149913 or 149999*||4||Yes||Yes|
|Cold Storage Manager||149999*||3||Yes||Yes|